Skip to main content.
Picture of Man reading Paper

December 2004

Revolving black ball 19th December League Report

Division 1 The Bird in Hand A kept their good start going with an impressive 5-1 win over the Charnley B and now moves them to within one point of leaders the Crooked Cue who were held to a 3-3 draw against the Hop Pole. There was celebration in the Luckpenny camp as they recorded their first league win of the season after a 4-2 victory against the Metro Bar, leading the way was Chris Moore, Paul Durie, Kev and Dave Johnston. The Crooked Cue X have found some good form with a 4-2 win against the Hop Pole C and now occupy 3rd place. The Charnley A were held to a 3-3 draw against the Rickerscote.

Division 2 The Rickerscote ended the Bird in Hand X 100% winning start with a 4-2 victory and thus gave the opportunity for the Three Tuns to go top and they duly did with a 4-2 win at the British Legion - Ian Thomas, Dennis Kitchen and Paul Johnson all won. The Albion B kept their promotion chances going after they secured a 5-1 win against the Rose and Crown. The Fox and Hounds clamed a 6-0 win against the Bear and Pheasant.

Division 3 The Morrisman stopped the Joiners in their tracks with an impressive 5-1 win that now puts them back in contention. This gave the Rifleman A a great chance to go top and they duly did with a 5-1 win against the Albion A. The Nags Head picked up a useful 4-2 win against the Forester who had Sam Crowe, Steve Crowe and John Gilmour all winning. There was a cancelled match between the Shrewsbury and Rifleman B.

Revolving black ball 12th December League Report

Division 1 There were two cancelled matches in the first division, including table-toppers the Crooked Cue, so this gave an opportunity for a new leader to take over. The Charnley B however came unstuck against the Crooked Cue X as they lost 4-2. Victors for the Cue Men were Mick Addison, Lee Cordall and Daz Waters. The Charnley A gained a useful 4-2 win at the Metro Bar where Neil Addison, Steve Smith and Simon Key all won.

Division 2 Leaders, the Bird X were without a game, so this gave the chasing teams a chance to close the gap. Three Tuns took full advantage with a 5-1 win against previously unbeaten Albion B and are now only two points behind in 2nd place. The Rickerscote A are in third place after a close 4-2 win at the Bear and Pheasant. The British Legion celebrated their first win with a 5-1 victory at the Staffs Bull where Nick Haden, Will Edge, Justin Mackereth and Pauline Burton all won. There was also a 4-2 win for the Rose and Crown as they beat the Fox and Hounds, leading the way were David Dunkley, Paul Lakin, Chris and Neil Parsons.

Division 3 The Rifleman A were back to winning ways with a 4-2 win against their B team with Nigel Lanes, Pete Harvey, Gary Pemberton, Mark Hollowood and Warren Bradbury all contributing. The Albion A claimed a 6-0 victory against the Nags Head, while the Joiners Arms entertained the Shrewsbury Arms and ran out 4-2 winners and now hold top spot by 2 points.

Revolving black ball 5th December Team Knockout Round One

There were some shocks in the 1st round of the league knockout as the holders, the Hop Pole, were knocked out, losing 3-2 at the Bird in Hand where John Daniels and Steve Finney were the heroes. First division Charnley A fell to third division Morrisman, losing 3-0. Leading the way for the latter were Dave Harris, Chris Blackford and G. Chadwick.

Highflying Crooked Cue were stopped in their tracks after going 3-1 down to second division Rickerscote A. Leading the way for the Ricky were John Lainton, Steve Bradley and Mark Sheerin. In an all first division clash it was the Luckpenny Wanderers who picked up their first win of the season with a 3-2 win at the Hop Pole C while another first division match saw the Crooked Cue X beat the in-form Charnley B 3-1.

The Three Tuns and the British Legion both registered convincing 3-0 away wins at the Albion A and the Rifleman B and so progress while there was a 3-0 home win for the Metro Bar against the Staffs Bull. The Bird in Hand X went through after winning 3-1 at the Nags Head while the Albion B won a close match 3-2 at the Fox and Hounds. The Joiners Arms beat higher league opposition in the way of the Rose and Crown 3-2 thanks to Andy Pearle, Steve Dickson and Jon Garside. First division Rickerscote were pushed all the way by third division leaders Highfields but came out 3-2 winners, Steve Hyde and Dave Ashton leading the way.


November 2004

Revolving black ball 21st November League Report

Division 1 The Crooked Cue have now opened up a 5 point lead at the top after a 6-0 win over the Charnley A with the help of Martin Priestley, Adam Lilburne, Dave and Mike Barker and Dave Whitfield. In second place are the Charnley B who also won 6-0 against the Luckpenny. The Hop Pole picked up their first win of the campaign with a 5-1 win at the Rickerscote. Leading the way for the Hop Pole were Mark Bailey, Andy Rawlinson, Kev Brown and Tim Teece. Hop Pole C also gained their first victory with a 4-2 win against the Metro Bar while the Bird A held the Crooked Cue X 3-3.

Division 2 The Bird in Hand X have started in great fashion after they secured a 5-1 win at the Rose and Crown and now have made it 3 wins out of 3. The Three Tuns are in 2nd place after they came from 2-0 down to beat the Rickerscote A 4-2. The Staffs Bull has adapted well to the new rules and won handsomely 5-1 against the Fox and Hounds and now occupy 3rd place. The British Legion and the Albion B fought out a 3-3 draw that now leaves them both in mid-table.

Division 3 The top two teams met and there was no separating them as they both scrapped out a 3-3 draw. The Joiners Arms are now level with the Highfields after they beat the Nags Head 5-1 with Jon Garside, Andy Anslow and Steve Dickson all winning. The Morrisman picked up their first win of the season after a 5-1 win over the Shrews Arms. John Davies, Chris Blackford, Dave Harris and Martin Gaul led the way. The Forester also picked up their first victory after they beat the Rifleman B 4-2 and climb into mid-table.

Revolving black ball 14th November League Report

Division 1 There were wins for both Charnley sides, the A side stunned the Crooked Cue X by winning 4-2. On the mark were Jason Armishaw, Paul Dustan, Simon Key and Simon Smith. The B team also recorded a 4-2 win at the Metro Bar with Mick Ferguson, Paul Shepherd and Dave Arrowsmith all winning. The Crooked Cue lead at the top after a close 4-2 win against promoted Hop Pole C. Champions Hop Pole were held for the second week running against a plucky Bird in Hand side 3-3.

Division 2 The Bird in Hand X opened up a 4 point gap after winning 4-2 at the Three Tuns. Leading the way were Lee Whitehouse, Dean Cammack, Gav Davies and Steve Nixon. Picking up their first win was Staffs Bull who gained a useful 4-2 win at the Ricky A with Gaz Morris, Linda Simpson, Ian and Kev Flannagan all winning. The Rose and Crown opened up their campaicn with a 4-2 win at the Bear and Pheasant while the Fox and Hounds were held 3-3 by the British Legion.

Division 3 The Highfields Club are the early pacesetters after winning 4-2 at the Nags head where Chris Rose, Mark Phillips, Simon Tyler and Mark Simpson all won. The Rifleman A are close behind after beating the Morrisman 4-2 with the help of Mark Hollowood, Pete Harvey, Steve Brownbill and Nigel Lanes. The Rifleman B got off to a winning start with a 4-2 win at the Albion A while the Forester and Joiners Arms fought out a 3-3 draw.


October 2004

Revolving black ball Singles Knockout Competition

Tim McGann W  
Andy Palin 0  
Spencer Trow 1 Tim McGann 3  
Mick Addison 2 Mick Addison 1 Tim McGann 4
Simon Key 2 Simon Key 2 Gavin Davies 2
Dave Barker 0 Gavin Davies 3  
Simon Davies 0  
Gavin Davies 2  

For the first time the finals were held in the evening at the Crooked Cue which proved to be very successful. Tim McGann began the defence of his crown with a walkover victory over the absent Andy Palin. He met Mick Addison in the semis who had just beaten 2003 runner-up Spencer Trow in a closely fought Q/F winning 2-1. McGann soon found himself 1-0 down after some close tactical play but then found his range and after a tough tussle against Addison, he held his nerve to see the match out winning 3-1.

In the other half of the draw Simon Key looked impressive early on. He took on home player Dave Barker and after an early mistake by Barker, he seized the initiative and went on to win 2-0. Key then met finals debutant Gavin Davies in the semis who had just beaten Simon Davies 2-0 in the previous round. Key steamrolled the first game with a fine clearance and looked to be in complete control but then came back Davies who then cleared up to make it 1-1. Key then took the next frame to lead again and then looked certain to clinch the next but stubborn resistance from Davies took it to a decider. After some long tactical play it was left to Key who had the first opportunity but agonisingly left the black in the jaws and Davies held his nerve to clear and thus reach the final at the first attempt.

In the Final, McGann was a big favourite to retain his title but Davies was not there just to make the numbers up and after losing the first frame he started to settle down. He clawed the second frame back and then started to get into the match but fine potting by McGann opened up a 3-1 lead but back again came Davies who then made it 3-2. McGann knew any more mistakes would only give his opponent the chance to take it to a decider but then a slip up by Davies gave McGann a sniff. He then duly took his chance and sunk the winning black to make it 4-2 and be crowned Sunday Singles Champion 2004.


Revolving black ball Doubles Knockout Competition

Tim McGann and Kev Brown 2  
Mick Bryant and Phil Alldiss 0 Tim McGann and Kev Brown 3
Dave Whitfield and Dave Barker 0 John Grobnik and Mick Addison 2
John Grobnik and Mick Addison 2  

This Finals night proved to be just as riveting as the Singles Finals night with some excellent pool being played. Tim McGann and Kev Brown were paired against Mick Bryant and Phil Alldiss. The first match was a very tactical affair with both parties waiting for their opportunity and it was McGann/Brown who got the first chance and so made it 1-0. In the second game, McGann/Brown took early control and eventually saw their chance and McGann rifled a long black in to the corner to take themselves into the final.

The other semi was quite an attacking affair between John Grobnik/Mick Addison v Dave Whitfield/Dave Barker. Whitfield and Barker had the first chance but a missed black into the middle while there were still 7 balls on the table gave Grobnik/Addison a chance and after an exchange of snookers, it was Addison who sunk the black. In the next frame it was a similar pattern but this time a snooker swung the favour back to Grobnik/Addison and they cleared to make it 2-0.

In the Final, McGann and Brown were going for 3 wins in a row but Grobnik had other ideas as he was in his Fourth final in a row! It was Grobnik and Addison who stormed into a 2-0 lead in short time and it looked as though Brown and McGann were struggling to keep up. But, as a tactical game developed, Singles Champion McGann started to show some form and stamp his impression on the match. It went to a decider where Brown and McGann had a couple of chances to take it but Grobnik and Addison came back to stifle the holders before it was left to McGann who cleared the remaining balls to produce a great comeback and snatch the crown as Doubles Champions for a THIRD year running.


September 2004

Revolving black ball Summer Team Knockout

The final was played at the Crooked Cue and it proved to be a closely fought match as predicted. The Hop Pole who did the double in the Winter, wanted to make a clean sweep but were up a against dogged opponents in the way of the Staffs Bull.

On first were Adam Lilburne (Staffs Bull) and Andy Bent (Hop Pole). There were early exchanges but it was Lilburne who made the first mistake to give Bent the opportunity to clear up, but just when it looked to be going his way he snookered himself on the black and the momentum swung back to Lilburne who duly took his chance to make it 1-0 to the Bull.

Drawn second were Dave Arrowsmith (Bull) and Kev Brown (Hop Pole) and this proved to be a tight battle with consistent safety being played with no player taking any chances but an unfortunate miscue by Arrowsmith gave Brown a sniff and he took his chance to level 1-1.

On third were Dave Richardson (Bull) and Andy Rawlinson (Hop Pole). This game was played to a high standard with both players exchanging good shots. Richardson went for it early but fell short and with Rawlinson trying for two shots he saw a chance and cleared up with a seven ball clearance to make it 2-1 to the Hop Pole.

On fourth were John Grobnik (Bull) and Tim Teece (Hop Pole) and it was Teece who went for it from the start. After some fine potting, he just fell short on the final ball and gave Grobnik his chance. After some close tactical play it was Grobnik who looked more likely to win and he did, potting the black to level it.

In the deciding doubles, the winners from both sides were paired together and this proved to be a tight tussle. But slowly, Lilburne and Grobnik started to get on top as Brown and Rawlison were finding it hard to turn things around. Eventually, Brown was forced into playing a shot but a mistake let Grobnik in and then the celebrations began as the Bull became the Summer Knockout Winners 2004.

In the Summer Plate competition, it was Morrisman who took on the Three Tuns and it was the Morrisman who ran out 3-0 winners to claim their first trophy.


Revolving black ball Inter-league Competition

The League has recently joined the Super League inter-league competition. Teams from other pool leagues across Staffordshire compete in this competition which takes place on Friday evenings and consists of 18 singles games, requiring a minimum of 9 players per team. The full EPA World Rules are used, including the 60 seconds allowed per shot rule.